I tell them if they text during class or even if they have their cell
phones on their desk they risk having it confiscated. I tell them
that yes it's high schoolish, but that yes, they can survive not
hearing the absolutely vital texts from their friends for an hour.
David

At 12:01 PM 8/19/2009, you wrote:

>When my students say they missed class, they usually follow it with,
>"Did I miss anything?"  As per a great list of possible answers that
>I got from TIPS years ago, I reply, with a rather affected glint of
>humor in my eye, "Why, no.  When you didn't show up, we just
>canceled class."  That usually makes them see the silliness of their
>question.  I then add, seriously, that they're responsible for
>anything that happened in class and they might look for a good
>student and ask to borrow their notes.
>
>I'm also toying with the idea of changing an attendance grade from
>"present" to "absent" if they text during class, and saying in my
>syllabus that I will do this.  My rationale is that if they're busy
>texting, they're not paying attention (and are even more disruptive
>- to me - than if they're absent) and are thus, essentially,
>absent.  I like this idea better than Louis' four dozen doughnuts
>penalty.  I don't need the calories and they can't use the "I don't
>have the money" excuse.  Of course, I have to make sure that I don't
>have my own cell phone going off during class!!  And this will only
>work if you routinely take attendance.  (I do.)
>
>How do TIPSters feel about this?  It's not going to kill them to
>keep their thumbs off their cellphones for an hour.
>
>Beth Benoit
>Granite State College
>Plymouth State University
>New Hampshire
>
>On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Marc Carter
><<mailto:marc.car...@bakeru.edu>marc.car...@bakeru.edu> wrote:
>
>Well, my perennial favorite (this is common to many of you, I'm
>sure) is, "I'm sorry I missed class today.  Did we do anything important?"
>
>--
>Marc Carter, PhD
>Associate Professor and Chair
>Department of Psychology
>College of Arts & Sciences
>Baker University
>--

David T. Wasieleski, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Psychology and Counseling
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
229-333-5620
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dtwasieleski

"The only thing that ever made sense in my life
is the sound of my little girl laughing through the window on a summer night...
Just the sound of my little girl laughing
makes me happy just to be alive..."
            --Everclear
    "Song from an American Movie"