Joan Warmbold wrote ".......I have had my cell phone ring during class a couple
of times and it the few times this has occurred, the class has erupted with
laughter as
they know how we instructors really don't like cell phones."
FWIW, we just had a member of Campus Security discuss security issues at a
Dept. meeting. One thing he said is that tyhe prof's cell SHOULD BE LEFT ON.
This is so we can receive messages through the campus' electronic alert system
should the need arise. I suppose one could ssimply leave your phone on
"vibrate" but when it rings, you still need to check it to see if it's
important. I plan to warn my students that mine will be left on for that
purpose.
Frankly, I don'r mind if students leave their phones on vibrate for their own
emergencies. Some of my students have children and need to be available. Of
course, if they want to answer a call they need to go outside.
Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania