The release of the Libyan terrorist by Scottish authorities so that he could
spend his terminal days at home and with family is an example of differential
cross-cultural attitudes between Europe and the U.S.
Obviously it demonstrates that Scottish judges took into account that there is
more to justice than the tit-for-tat mentality of  the Americans. It is
interesting that the Europeans weigh various aspects of consequences of certain
actions and did not blindly reject the human element that to even in our worse
hour , being compassionate
is truly the quintessential human quality. There are other attitudes that
distinguishes Europeans from the Americans in terms of
prostitution,addiction,euthanasia,death penalty and many other. One
distinguishing characteristic between the two continents is that there is an
ambivalence about values in U.S culture and Americans
appear to have a need to seek approval.As the cross-cultural dude on Tips,the
Sottish justice system seem to take into account that justice may lead to some
incarceration,compassion is right and needs no consensus from across the
ocean.We all regret the loss of lives,but two wrongs do not make a right.
This is beginning to remind me of bumper stickers I used to see in Florida "We
don't care how you do it up North."
Europeans may be expressing a similar theme-"We don't care how you do it in the
U.S" I understand that in some European countries even the a life sentence is
viewed as cruel.

So Stuart Mc Kelvie-Hail Scotland!

Michael Sylvester.PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida