Partly it is because  American public opinion has become increasingly
out of step with the rest of the "developed" world on so many
socio-political issues (education, government, crime, guns, drugs,
abortion, welfare, health, etc.) over the past 30 years, that American
attitudes are now just expected to be fairly "alien" and increasingly
irrelevant to parallel debates in other countries. (This is not to say
that American *should* line up with everyone else, just that they
*don't*, and haven't for such a long time that it is regarded as a brute
fact rather than a minor fluctuation on which there will eventually be
more accord.)

On this particular case, I was astonished (well, not really) to hear
many Americans (and a few Brits) ask rhetorically why this man should be
shown any compassion because (if he indeed did it) he didn't show any
compassion to those who were killed on the flight. Well, because I would
think that we *want* to show more compassion than a cold-blooded mass
murderer (even to a mass murderer), that's why. It seems quite bizarre
that we would let our own moral sense be dictated by the moral sense of
someone we have declared to be immoral.

Regards,
Chris Green
York U.