Paul et al,

you said:
>If the student is a serious student with the kind of curiosity we
>value,

Who (m) is/are we?  Speak for yourself.  Also, define serious.

>offers the best chance at a well-rounded and
>well-respected graduate education.

Again, according to whom?

>The pastoral programs that Gary Peterson
>suggested also offer opportunities for students who are motivated by
>religious belief for that area of psychology - I've got a reasonably strong
>senior with interests in that direction who has already chosen a "pastoral
>counseling" program, and it seems a good fit.

I don't think my student was implying religion when she asked about going
into the spirit aspect of psychology.  That's a pretty archaic approach to
spirituality, no?

>       John Kulig's suggestion that the student be explicit about her
>definitions is also an excellent one. The terms "mind" and "spirit" are
>often used as shorthand for "everything that I don't understand and am not
>willing to try to understand". If your student suffers that problem, she's
>going to be mighty frustrated when her graduate advisor requires her to
>think through her claims and measures. That particular "rigid philosophy"
>has caused a lot of problems for students I've worked with (as instructor,
>advisor, and peer during my own graduate work), who clearly believed that
>their interest in "the mind-body connection" or "spirituality" meant that
>they didn't have to define their terms concretely.

Again, we're talking about apples and oranges.  Maybe YOU don't value this
thinking and perhaps are wedded to a strict "scientific" approach (which,
according to the principles of quantum physics does not provide the
"objective" data you and so many others are afraid of questioning.)  Also,
there are plenty of divisions in the APA that just in their existing run
counter to what you are suggesting.  Do you mean to tell me that the
information these divisions provide is worthless?  That's a bit pompous.

Look - I was seriously asking a question only to be instructed (quite
condescendingly with a touch of the "flame") to "teach" this student to
think like you (and maybe like me.) I don't believe education is religion
(i.e., believe what I believe or else) and I encourage students to pursue
whatever it is that interests them.

Thanking God/Goddess/Luck/Science that I was fortunate enough to not have
too many instructors like you,

Kitty K. Jung, MA
Truckee Meadows Community College
Reno, NV  89503