I wanted to second Paul Smith's distillation of the advice.  I would
add to it that there are a variety of people doing interesting work
in the psychology of religion. A useful set of web pages has been
compiled by Michael Nielsen of Georgia Southern University at
http://www.psywww.com/psyrelig/index.htm

It is also useful for the student to recognize that many
psychologists are quite hostile to investigations in this area.  If
you look at the attitudes of academia, it appears that social
scientists (and psychologists in particular) are the least religious
academics.  Natural science faculty are among the most religious.
The student will need to persevere in the face of this, if their
interest is strong.

As some evidence of the culture of psychology in this regard, there
have been numerous heated exchanges on this list regarding the
validity or interest value of work in the area.  By and large, we
have managed to stay above calling each other names, but occasionally
make unflattering attributions and implications.

So, encourage your student to look into the area mentioned, and let
her or him know that goos work in these areas will require the
difficult process of making concrete operationalizations of complex
matters.

-Chuck
- Chuck Huff                   Psychology Department
- Associate Professor          St.Olaf College
- Tutor in the Paracollege     1520 St. Olaf Avenue
- 507.646.3169  Fax: 646.3774  Northfield, MN 55057-1098
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.stolaf.edu/people/huff/