Deborah:

When I give an inclass test, it is usually a combination of multiple choice
and essays.  I normally allow one sheet of "cheat notes."  Students may
explain their answers on the test paper (an idea I stole from a fellow
tipster.) I always give tests back to the students to keep, because I believe
they should have their tests back.  So I rewrite the tests every semester,
usually keeping and rewording 1/3-1/2 of the items, and making up or using
the other items from the test banks I have.  The essays stay the same from
semester to semester.  I figure if they are looking at old tests, seeing the
essays and thinking about them, that's a learning process.

If I give take home exams, they are fill in the blank and essays.  This
semester I have experimented with using T/F items on pop quizzes only.  My
quizzes are open book.

Hope this helps.

Nancy Melucci
East Los Angeles College