Deborah

<<do you use mainly MC questions, or fill in the blanks, or essays?>>

In my intro psych course, I give 3 or 4 exams depending on whether it is the
mini-term or the 16-week term.  Usually each exam is 50 questions, multiple
choice.  I rarely use T/F, as those are pretty hard (I know, maybe that's
not the best reason to avoid those).  I'll sometimes slip in a few matching
questions.

<<Do you pull questions from previous tests? >>

I keep a file of questions handy and select different ones from the base
file for each class.  So the work is labor intensive for me once and I just
cut/rework different questions from my base file for different classes.
Initially,  I compile the "base" file of about 100 questions for each of the
exams using the test bank questions as the base for that.   I just use the
test bank questions to save time but I usually rewrite the test bank
questions and make them more "user friendly"  (not necessarily to dumb them
down, just more unique to my style) and more consistent with the phrasing I
used in my transparencies.  I think this helps stimulates their recall.

You might think this is overboard, but I also allow them the option of
turning in a bonus essay question for extra credit on each test (you know,
pick one out of three). If they take the time to turn in an Essay with the
test, they can get an extra 10 or so points depending on the level of
sophistication of the work.

Hope this helps.

P.S.

Some months back (3 Oct 00), Sue Frantz posted an interesting alternative
that I really liked and keep thinking of trying  -  I particularly like the
idea that you don't need work out a make-up exam schedule.  The final exam
automatically becomes the make-up opportunity.   Here is the gist (quoted
from her post).  There is lots more on her post and you may want to check
out her web page which is excellent.

<<I give 4 unit exams (50 points each) and an optional comprehensive
final (200 points) that is divided into 4 sections (qtns 1-25
correspond to the first exam -- different questions, same material,
qtns 26-50 correspond to the second exam, and so on).

If the students take all 4 unit exams and are happy with those
scores, they have no need for the final.

If a student misses an exam, they need to take the section of the
final that covers that exam.  For instance, missing the 3rd exam
means they need to answer questions 51-75 on the final.  The score on
that section (say, 20 out of 25) is doubled (to 40 out of 50), and
that's the number that goes in the student's empty "Exam 3" box.  A
student can miss as many exams as they would like for whatever
reason; all exams are made up by taking the final.>>

Haydee Gelpi
Broward Community College, Florida
(954) 776-6500