On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:08:52 -0800 Robert Herdegen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hey, Ken! Wasn't it at USND at Hoople that the early work was done on the
> PDQ Bach effect, in which rats listened to his Concerto for
> Horn and Hardart (S. 27) 12 hours a day for 6 weeks, after
> which their ability to learn mazes was significantly
> worse than rats that were left in peace? (At least
> it was for those rats in the music condition who didn't chew their own
> ears off during the study.)

Unfortunately, we later discovered that the rats in the Horn & Hardart
group had increased consumption of coffee and pie which could also
account for the change.

Anyway, it was at Hoople that we learned about Skinner's visit to
a certain Philadelphia institution and the true story behind the design
of the operant chamber.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Psychology
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608