Hi,

I just want to describe our usecase because we make heavy use of the
local_worker and local_worker_only flags right now.

We use those flags for 'maintenance' mode and failover very successfuly.

But please see our setup and usecase below.

This one is crucial for our Maintenance switchover see later.

> "We need a graceful shut down of a node for maintenance. The balancer in
> front asks a special port on each node periodically. If we want to
> remove a node from the cluster, we switch off this port."
>
> WTF !? How? Which port? How to switch of this port?
>
> What counts the most is that you where unable to mark the node for
> shutdown, and not to accept new connections without session id.
> I suppose that was the purpose for those two directives, but I was
> never able to setup the jk in that direction.

First we use TC 3.3.2 (moving to 5.5.7)  behind Apache 1.3 on Solaris.
mod_jk version is a patched version based on mod_jk1.2.5

We only use one tomcat at a time to get traffic with a standby tomcat for
maineneance.
This scenario also covers failover. We do not use the loadbalancer to actually
balance
by factors.

We use sticky_sessions=true

This is our mod_jk setup if Tomcat-01 is serving the requests:

worker.list=loadbalancer
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=ajp13-01, ajp13-02
worker.loadbalancer.local_worker_only=0

worker.ajp13-01.port=8009
worker.ajp13-01.host=tomcat-01
worker.ajp13-01.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13-01.lbfactor=1
worker.ajp13-01.local_worker=1

worker.ajp13-02.port=8019
worker.ajp13-02.host=tomcat-02
worker.ajp13-02.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13-02.lbfactor=1
worker.ajp13-02.local_worker=0

Now, all requests go to worker.ajp13-01, since local_worker=1 only for tomcat-01
so it "is first in the queue".

Failover (in case tomcat-01 crashes) works, since local_worker_only=0 meaning
"it also distributes the requests to the other machine if ajp13-01 is in error
state"

Now lets do maintenance (tomcat-01 should be shut down, tomcat-02 shall take
the load):

What we do is just link in an other worker.property file on the webserver and
gracefully restart Apache to take effect.

The second worker.properties looks like this (almost the same):

worker.list=loadbalancer
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=ajp13-01, ajp13-02
worker.loadbalancer.local_worker_only=0

worker.ajp13-01.port=8009
worker.ajp13-01.host=tomcat-01
worker.ajp13-01.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13-01.lbfactor=1
worker.ajp13-01.local_worker=0

worker.ajp13-02.port=8019
worker.ajp13-02.host=tomcat-02
worker.ajp13-02.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13-02.lbfactor=1
worker.ajp13-02.local_worker=1

The only difference is that now ajp13-02 has local_worker=1 and ajp13-01 has
local_worker=0

Now, since local_worker_only=0, existing (sticky) sessions still go to
tomcat-01,
but local_worker=1 on ajp13-02 tells new sessions to go to tomcat-02.

When all sessions have expired on tomcat-01 we can shut it down for maintenance.

Exactly the same works in the other direction (including failover if tomcat-02
should crash)

I do not yet see how we can make this scenario work with the removed and
local_worker_only
flags, but I have not tried yet hard.

Just my usecase,
Cheers, Hans

P.S.: Our read scenario actually has up to 5 Tomcats, which are periodically
restarted with the above
method. This way we actually get kind of loadbalancing, since a single tomcat
gets local_worker=1
only for a short amount of time leaving sticky sessions to other tomcats.