It definately seems like j-t-c should be a first candidate
for svn conversion.  The other jakarta-tomcat repositories
are considerabily more complex.

But it would be good to have line endings straightened out
beforehand.

This checkout was with the cvs Win32 client.  It seems, from
all the troubles you have, that you are using the cygwin cvs
client?  The cygwin client checks out Unix text because it is
a unix shell, and shouldn't be expected to check out with Win32
semantics (that combo would be an oxymoron.)

One nice advantage of SVN is that you can force an LF checkout
on win32, or CRLF checkout on unix, if that is what you desire.
Either is predicated on storing text files as (of all things)
text files - which the files I mentioned were not conformant.

Here are the results from checking out under unix (FYI - you can
force win32 or unix semantics with --cr or --nocr using my
lineends.pl script, and --force will ignore the mixed up line
endings when the file contains a mix of LF, CR/LF and CR/CR/LF
line endings);

Fixed lines ./jni/native/libtcnative.dsp
Fixed lines ./jni/native/libtcnative.dsw
Fixed lines ./jni/native/tcnative.dsp
Mismatch in ./jni/native/src/pool.c:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jni/native/src/shm.c:1 expected 0
Fixed lines ./jni/native/src/ssl.c
Fixed lines ./jni/native/build/win32ver.awk
Mismatch in ./jni/java/org/apache/tomcat/jni/OS.java:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/xdocs/changelog.xml:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/xdocs/index.xml:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/xdocs/style.css:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/xdocs/news/20041100.xml:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/xdocs/install/apache1.xml:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/xdocs/install/iis.xml:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/xdocs/config/iis.xml:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/xdocs/config/workers.xml:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/native2/CHANGES.txt:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/native2/README.txt:1 expected 0
Mismatch in ./jk/native2/STATUS.txt:1 expected 0
Fixed lines ./jk/native2/server/isapi/install4iis.js
Fixed lines ./jk/native2/server/apache2/bldjk2.qclsrc
Fixed lines ./jk/native/nt_service/nt_service.dsp
Fixed lines ./jk/native/netscape/nsapi.dsp
Fixed lines ./jk/native/isapi/tomcat_redirector.reg
Fixed lines ./jk/native/iis/isapi.dsp
Fixed lines ./jk/native/iis/isapi_redirect.reg
Fixed lines ./jk/native/iis/installer/isapi-redirector-win32-msi.ism
Fixed lines ./jk/native/domino/dsapi.dsp
Fixed lines ./jk/native/apache-2.0/mod_jk.dsp
Fixed lines ./jk/native/apache-1.3/mod_jk.dsp
Fixed lines ./ajp/ajplib/test/test.sln
Fixed lines ./ajp/ajplib/test/testajp.vcproj

(Just to reclarify, 0 expecting 1 means the module first encountered
0 CR's - just an LF, and deeper in the file encountered CR/LF - one
CR found.)