To me it's not quite clear what you are doing exacly.

I see three option to use an externl loadbalancer.
Which one is the one you use ?

- use mod_jk with sticky sessions.
  - Setup two apaches with a mod_jk.
  - Setup loadbalancing for mod_jk.
  - Setup two tomcats with a unique jvmRoute.

     LB
    /  \
   /    \
  A1    A2
  |\   /|
  | \ / |
  |  x  |
  | / \ |
  |/   \|
  T1   T2

  Although the last mails from Bill Barker indicate that current
  implementation of mod_jk doesn't balance the load equally, this
  scenario should work for you, as the external load balancer does
  this already. The Loadbalancer in mod_jk is just used to route
  the requests to the correct tomcat.

- use session replication.
  In this scenario each instance of tomcat has a copy of the session
  data, so it doesn't matter which receives the request.
  In this case you can omit apache and mod_jk and use tomcat native.

     LB
    /  \
   /    \
  A1    A2
  |     |
  |     |
  T1---T2

- use a load balancer that supports sticky sessions
  (url and cookie based sessions)

  In this case you can treat each tomcat as a stand alone
  server.

     LB
    /  \
   /    \