Here are a few points of clarification:

- External hardware Http load balancing is setup using sticky sessions
- mod_jk is setup using  sticky sessions
- there is no session state replication (a lost Tomcat/Jboss instance
requires a user to log back on)
- the tomcat/Jboss instances are on seperate machines

This is more or less your example no 1 below.

If you take the following example:

Http request 1 is sent to A1 by the ext LB this request may go to T1. Then
http request 2 is sent to A2 this request may also go to T1. Now T1 has
double the load of T2 which is currently at zero.

What I am trying to work out in my is:
1. Does this matter or should it somehow be biased?
2. Will things be evened out as the no of requests increase?
3. How will it scale when adding non-even nos. of Tomcats to Apaches?
4. How to represent this in mathematical terms?