David Rees schrieb:

> Can you send the Tomcat process a -QUIT signal so we can see what the
> state of the JVM is?
>
> It sounds like a JVM bug, and Java on FreeBSD is less than heavily used...
>  Try a different JVM if you can.

Hi David,

I use the most stable jvm I know for FreeBSD: Blackdown Java under Linux
Emulation Mode.

Following problem can be recognized even if the tomcat process is not in
sbwait mode:

1) Sending a -QUIT signal to the tomcat process does not stop the process.
2) Using shutdown.sh and -QUIT show up the same result: tomcat process still
stays in memory but suddenly the CPU value increases about over 90%.

Only a kill -9 stops the process!

With tomcat 3.x I did not have such a problem and I could shutdown tomcat
without any problems.

Any idea?

Thanks and regards

Volker