On Tue, October 7, 2003 1at 1:59 am, Volker sent the following
> Following problem can be recognized even if the tomcat process is not in
> sbwait mode:
>
> 1) Sending a -QUIT signal to the tomcat process does not stop the process.

A -QUIT will not shut down Tomcat, but cause the JVM to dump a stack trace
to stdout of all threads.  This will be useful when the process hangs up.
If the process is not responding to the -QUIT command, the JVM has hung up
or you have a lot of threads stuck in a tight loop!

> 2) Using shutdown.sh and -QUIT show up the same result: tomcat process
> still
> stays in memory but suddenly the CPU value increases about over 90%.
>
> Only a kill -9 stops the process!
>
> With tomcat 3.x I did not have such a problem and I could shutdown tomcat
> without any problems.

Without knowing if and where Tomcat is hung up by reviewing the stack
dump, we won't be able to get much further.

-Dave