David Rees schrieb:

> On Tue, October 7, 2003 1at 1:59 am, Volker sent the following
> > Following problem can be recognized even if the tomcat process is not in
> > sbwait mode:
> >
> > 1) Sending a -QUIT signal to the tomcat process does not stop the process.
>
> A -QUIT will not shut down Tomcat, but cause the JVM to dump a stack trace
> to stdout of all threads.  This will be useful when the process hangs up.
> If the process is not responding to the -QUIT command, the JVM has hung up or
> you have a lot of threads stuck in a tight loop!

Hi Dave,

I run the jvm in green mode (recommended by John from Volano for Blackdown Java
under FreeBSD!).
So the problem should not derive from too many threads!

Sending the QUIT-signal does not show any result because stdout is the terminal
and that one does not print out anything when I send a -QUIT.
It is important to emphasize that the process does not show any reaction related
to a -QUIT even when tomcat is running correctly.
My original problem is that tomcat hangs up after a while (in that case nothing
can be done with signals etc.).

But what I wanted to explain in my last posting: Even when tomcat is running
correctly (handling the servlet requests) you cannot stop it with shutdown.sh or
-QUIT. Shutdown.sh only makes the CPU% increase over 90% and nothing does work
anymore. But the tomcat process still is in memory. Only a kill -9 helps.

> > 2) Using shutdown.sh and -QUIT show up the same result: tomcat process
> > still stays in memory but suddenly the CPU value increases about over 90%.
> >
> > Only a kill -9 stops the process!
> >
> > With tomcat 3.x I did not have such a problem and I could shutdown tomcat
> > without any problems.
>
> Without knowing if and where Tomcat is hung up by reviewing the stack
> dump, we won't be able to get much further.

Like mentioned above: -QUIT does NOT produce any stack dump on the stdout!

Thanks

Volker