From: Kevin A. Burton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 14 November 2004 01:31
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: OutOfMemory errors compiling JSPs on 5.0.16 and 5.5.4

Remy Maucherat wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:17:28 -0800, Kevin A. Burton
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>- For all my JSPs I fetch them with the URL foo.jsp?jsp_precompile=true
>>to trigger precompilation
>>

>How many JSPs must be compiled to cause problems ?

About 50 or so... it changes every time.   Sometimes I have to trigger a
precompile twice.

>>Note that the VM still shows plenty of memory so I'm not sure what the
>>heck is going on here.  I also looked at our file handles and they seem
>>fine too.
>>

>In that kind of situation, a profiler will have to be used. All I can
>tell right now is that it has nothing to do with the Java compilation,
>which is not very surprising.

Why is it then that doing a ?jsp_precompile=true for all my JSPs and NO
other action causes this?

>For really large web applications, I think you should precompile as
>many JSPs as possible anyway, as a JSP compiled dynamically will
>always use more resources (even if there is no bug in Jasper).

Well thats probably an approach we will take but its unfortunate.

If i had a profiler I would connect it to figure out whats going on but
I'm really not happy with any of them.

Kevin

get a free iPod!

Any opinions expressed in this E-mail may be those of the individual and not
necessarily the company. This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this E-mail in error and that any
use or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in
error please notify the beCogent postmaster at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the individual
sender and not beCogent Ltd. You must take full responsibility for virus
checking this email and any attachments.
Please note that the content of this email or any of its attachments may
contain data that falls within the scope of the Data Protection Acts and that
you must ensure that any handling or processing of such data by you is fully
compliant with the terms and provisions of the Data Protection Act 1984 and
1998.