Franklin Phan wrote:

I'm trying to code a method to clean up specifically named files inside a working dir (in Windows XP) whenever the session times out.

Rather than a global listener approach, why not just add an instance
of your listener *to each session*? When the session ends and that
object receives the event, it still knows its attributes; from your
example:

 public void valueUnbound(HttpSessionBindingEvent se) {
    AbcdUtil util = new AbcdUtil();

    /* -- neither of these is necessary, as userId is still defined
     *   HttpSession session = se.getSession();
     *   String userId = (String)session.getValue("userId");
     */

I use this approach to return items to stock from an abandoned (via
session timeout) shopping cart, for instance.

FWIW!
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                          dream.  code.