Hello. I realize this is about the stupidest question I could ask but, I've scoured the web, etc. and cannot get an easy example of making servlets actually work with Tomcat.

I have written a few "Hello World" servlets and gotten them to work with Resin but I cannot get even the most simple servlet to work with Tomcat.

I create the servlet code such as the one found here:

http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/servlet/tutorial/helloworld/index.xtp

I compile the servlet and place the .class file in the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/<app>/WEB-INF/classes directory.

Then I modify the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/app/WEB-INF/web.xml to include the declarations for the servlet.

I stop and restart Tomcat and alas, all I get is 404 when I try to access the servlet with a url like http://localhost:8080/<app>/HelloServlet.

I know this has got to VERY simple. Thanks in advance.
Andrew