>.As far as I understand it, there is nothing to stop a user from adding
>documentation
>to the tomcat project themselves. I'm amazed at how good the documentation
>is
>seeing as how no one was paid to do it.
        Not to get into a great big argument over OS version commercial
products, but if OS projects expect to be taken with the same consideration
as commercial they have to accept to be compared across the board. This
includes documentation. You can't just pick and choose the battles you want
to fight. For the most part, the documentation in OS projects just plain
sucks, if it even exists. Believe it or not this is one of the reasons OS is
often frowned upon. Look at Microsoft, sure its close source, people may
think it sucks, blah blah blah, but do you have idea how much information is
on MSDN?
        The lack of documentation available goes against some very basic
rules of Software Engineering. In the real world does this really matter? I
dunno, but often times packaging and presentation, and a finished looka nd
feel are the key to getting in the door and this is where most OS projects
fail miserably.
        Because its free might be the reason the documentation sucks, it
shouldn't be a justification. (not that i'm saying tomcat sucks, just
argueing the point).