Hi,

We are trying to monitor the set of Threads in the JVM running Tomcat in order to fix
a resource
exhaustion problem we have. (Tomcat and/or our code is increasing the number of
threads until the
hard nproc limit in /etc/security/limits.conf for the user is reached. Red Hat Linux
7.2)

How can I code this? This is probably a basic Java question but how do I reference to
the top
level ThreadGroup? With this code

    ThreadGroup tg = Thread.currentThread().getThreadGroup() ;
    while ( tg.getParent() != null)
        tg = tg.getParent() ;

    /* walk hierachy from tg */

would the code encounter problems with security manager restrictions when methods are
invoked on
the root object?

In addition to the actual code to walk the Thread tree does anyone have a suggestion
as to which
classloader I should put the code in? Does it matter?

Many Thanks for any suggestions,
Janek