Slade wrote:
> Whatever system you come up with, David, it must
> explain why David was not stoned for his sin.
> Should we not give YHVH room to work his Chesed?
> Chesed is not just a New Testament concept.
> David proves it.

Your system makes mercy something written into the letter of the law, or
it makes mercy unnecessary in David's case because according to your
teaching, the law did not require death if the sin was not done
presumptuously.

The idea of mercy is that it rejoices against judgment.  In our legal
system, a governor or president might extend mercy and pardon a criminal
if he considers it warranted.  This is chesed, or mercy.  It is
releasing the person from the requirements of the law.  When a pardon is
given, it does not change the meaning of the law, nor does it change the
sentence that the law requires.  The pardon simply releases the criminal
from having the sentence carried out in his particular case.

Paul explained the way that mercy is extended in the following passage:

Rom 9:15  For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have
mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
Rom 9:16  So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that
runneth, but of God that showeth mercy.
Rom 9:17  For the Scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same
purpose have I raised thee up, that I might show my power in thee, and
that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
Rom 9:18  Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom
he will he hardeneth.

So then let us understand that mercy operates separately from the letter
of the law, and is something extended by the will of God.

Jesus taught us the doctrine of mercy in the following passage:

Luke 6:36  Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
Luke 6:37  Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye
shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

So the basis for David receiving mercy is, 1) God's will to extend him
mercy, 2) David extending mercy to others, and 3) David trusting in the
mercy of the Lord.

David wrote the following:

Psa 13:5  But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy
salvation.

And James taught:

Jam 2:13  For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath showed no
mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.