Gary wrote:
> this is exactly why (partic in valid NT counseling/preaching)
> to carefully establish NT/exegetical linkage betw obesity and
> gluttony (which is truthful/correct), not betw obesity and
> laziness/lack of exercise per se

This is an interesting comment that I would like to see you expound
upon.  How do you define gluttony and can you contrast that with
"laziness/lack of exercise"?  Do you consider laziness a sin on par with
gluttony?

This subject interests me because as a computer software developer, I
don't get enough exercise during the regular course of the day unless I
specifically exercise.  In other words, I must set aside time to
exercise, or my weight increases rather quickly.  Am I perhaps masking
gluttony by exercising?  Should I cut down from one meal a day to
perhaps one meal every other day if my inactivity warrants such, or
would it be better to add more exercise to my list of things to do?

I don't know if you remember last year, Gary, but gluttony is the sin
that I committed in March of 2002.  Gluttony is the thing which the Lord
chastised me for.  I am very cognizant that this is a weakness in me,
and I am very much looking for a higher way.

I don't pay a lot of attention to my personal nutrition.  I feel like I
just haphazardly go along.  If I seem to be packing on some weight, I
just stop eating or add more exercise.  I've been thinking that perhaps
I need to be more disciplined about it, but I'm not sure how to do it.
When I was younger, I never had to think about it.  My weight was always
fine regardless of what I ate.  As I now move past 43 years of age, I
find my body much more sensitive to diet and exercise.  It is time I
learn how to properly address this aspect of my physical life, but with
so many books out there and so many conflicting opinions, I'm not sure
where to begin.  Just last night my wife was saying to me, "you spent
all that time in biology and you are telling me you don't know how you
should eat"?  Well, I was taught certain things which I don't trust,
such as that pyramid with all the carbohydrates at the bottom.  If I ate
according to what I was taught, I believe I would be a huge blimp.

Another thing I often think about is that in my biological studies, I
learned how many animals change their diet through ontogeny.  The young
have a different kind of diet than the adults have.  I think human
beings might be kind of like this, but I don't see anyone considering
that the kind of diet that would be best for children might be very
different than what would be best for adults.  I think treating children
and adults the same might account for why obesity seems to be more of a
problem for adults than for children.  It is often referenced that the
aged's metabolism slows down and accounts for this, but I truly wonder
if that is the complete explanation. It seems to me that there is more
to it than just that.

Glenn wrote:
> Paul is not belittling exercise

This is true.  Whenever I have had the honor of working out with a
fellow believer, I have sometimes quoted an abbreviated version of 1
Tim. 4:8 as a kind of motivational joke, "well, you know what the Bible
says, 'Bodily Exercise Profiteth!'"

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.