If this explains why they did not die on that day, then why did they die
later?  If the substitution stopped them from dying on that day, then why
not forever?

Genesis 3:22-23a     Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become
like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and
take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"    --    therefore
the LORD God sent him out of the garden

The thought of letting them -- and thus humanity -- eat of the tree of life
and live forever in a fallen state was too horrible to contemplate; in fact
it was too horrible even to express. Bullinger is quite helpful in this
instance. The figure of speech employed here is called an aposiopesis, or
sudden-silence (152-153). "It is the sudden breaking off of what is being
said (or written), so that the mind may be the more impressed by what is too
... awful for words." Adam and Eve could not be "fixed" in the state they
were in; it would take a re-creation to do that; thus they were graced with
the necessity of dying, that they might be raised anew in Christ's
resurrection. The same holds true for us. Adam and Eve would not have died
at all had they eaten (or continued to eat) of the tree of life. Bullinger
states, "Here the exact consequences of eating of the tree of life in his
fallen condition are left unrevealed, as though they were too awful to be
contemplated: and the sudden silence leaves us in the darkness in which the
Fall involved us. But we may at least understand that whatever might be
involved in this unspoken threatening, it included this fact:-- I will drive
him away from the tree of life!"

Bill