Judy wrote:
> The Spirit and Word work simultaneously which is what
> we see in Acts and all of the Epistles so we would need
> more than John 6:44 to construct a "wooing doctrine".

I agree that the Spirit and the Word work simultaneously, but many people
have recognized that they were prepared to accept God's Word long before
they actually heard it and accepted it.  I think the Scriptures support
these personal testimonies, and if we are humble enough, we will see that we
are what we are only because of God's grace and work upon us.  He chose us
first, then we accept his call.

While you recognize the Spirit and the Word working together, notice what
Jesus says about his sending out his apostles.

John 4:37-38
(37) And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
(38) I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men
laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

If other men had prepared those to whom the apostles preached, how much more
might we understand that the grace of God was at work wooing these people to
come unto God.

Judy wrote:
> ... it greatly saddens me to see so little interest in
> God's Word. People are so excited over the prospect
> of hearing the words of Athanasius, Polyani, or whoever
> their latest theological fad is, just like the people Paul
> encountered at Mars Hill in Athens.  But I see none of
> this happening when it comes to God's Word which is
> labelled "scripture bombing" and received as "Ho Hum"
> or else mixed with the words of theologians and distorted
> until it is unrecognizable.

You are quite right about this.  It bothers me too how some dismiss the
quoting of Scripture with one line phrases like "proof-texting" or "don't
ignore context" or "Scripture bombs" or that the passage is figurative, etc.
They never seem to explain the proper context or teach the meaning of the
passage.  It is always simply a discrediting to favor the traditions and
teachings of men over the Scritpures themselves.  It is exactly the same
problem Jesus faced with the scribes (scholars) and Pharisees and Saduccees
of his day.

Judy wrote:
> Unless there is something more concrete David I see
> this "wooing" as a good example of what is wrong.
> Only the Word delivered in the power of the Spirit
> can open the hearts of the people.  God sent John
> the Baptist to prepare the way for Jesus the Word
> - this would have been a wonderful opportunity for
> the Spirit to woo (if that were his job) before the
> arrival of the Word Himself don't you think?

I certainly agree with you that we need this delivery of the Word of God in
power, but let's not negate the wooing work of the Spirit either.  In fact,
John the Baptist too was part of this work of grace on God's part.

John 16:9 speaks of a work of the Holy Spirit in the lives of the
unbelievers.  Of course, this particular work concerns a new work of the
Spirit after the Lord ascended on high, but it is noteworthy to recognize
that the Spirit does work to convince the unbeliever of his sin while at the
same time works to convince the believer of his righteousness.  I believe
that the Holy Spirit does this work through anointed men of God (as you seem
to recognize), but I also believe he works in a spiritual way at the same
time.