And I suppose the fact that the AMERICAN Baptists were founded in the US proves that Baptists did not exist in Europe too!

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH:  You tell me, Kevin.  You claim to know the roots.  I can only quote that which I've learned.....that the First Southern Baptist Church.........

 was founded in 1682 and originally organized in Kittery, Maine by the Rev. William Screven.

..........from my limited searching on the net.  IF that is not correct, please tell us who the real founder is, and when he founded it, Kevin.

Kevin Deegan wrote:
And who was the founder of the Baptist church?

Charles Perry Locke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dave, do you consider the Wikipedia to be a reliable source of truth? Who
wrote the article? Who are these "Christian church historians". Why is the
word "protestant" in quotes? This article has no credits and no citations.
Why should it carry any weight other than the fact that it mentions a few
points you are trying to make?

But, if you prefer Wikipedia for your source of truth, then perhaps you
should have read on...

"The name Protestant is rejected by some Baptists because Baptists do not
have a direct connection to Luther, Calvin or the Roman Catholic Church.
They do not feel that they are protesting anything and Landmark Baptists
believe they pre-date the Roman Catholic Church. Other Baptists accept the
Protestant label as a demographic concept that describes churches who share
similar theologies of sola scriptura, so la fide, the priesthood of all
believers and other positions that Luther, Calvin and traditional reformers
held in contrast to the Roman Catholic Church in the 1500s."

Notice that first line?

On the other hand, I prefer the term "Christian" to any other labels...those
who are members of the Body of Christ, regardless of from which tradition
they come, what "denomination" of fellowship they attend, and who get their
truth from the Word of God. This may also include personal revelation that
is in line with Biblical truths and principles. So, relying on heretical
extra-biblical works produced by or through a magic talisman bearing
peep-stone treasure hunter disqualifies one from the Body of Christ.

Perry

--
Dave Hansen