Guys,

thanks for the insight. Aaron's suggestion works well, although now I feel I
have somewhat of a mixture, a cache that extends a disk cache but is of type
lateral. I think James has a good point moving the types into the
configuration/construction.

> > How did you modify the disk cache to recover from a crash?

it doesn't recover, really. the only problem was the key file in case it's
not properly written, making the cache unusable after a restart. Changing
the indexed file to a flat file system with one file for each object and
writing the objects as soon as they were created is much more suitable for
us.

> And when are we going to see all these neat changes people
> keep talking about
> as patches? ;)

:-) once we finished the inital version we are more than happy to submit it
as an additional plugin, in case it's wanted.

> > and then turn spooling off.  Type lateral auxiliaries are

I don't seem to be able to turn off spooling altogether. It doesn't seem to
be a cache attribute, rather an element attribute, but is not considered!?
What am I missing here?

Thanks again,
Michal