> > I think the issue has to do with dependencies of projects
> > that are branched.  I can see the case where you would like
> > to have the head of a particular branch (say torque 3.0 tree
> > -vs- the head of development).
> >
> > I see how this can be useful, but I think the complexity it
> > adds (and confusion it can cause) overshadows the added value.
>
> What confusion would it cause?  I fail to see how it would be
confusing at
> all.

I can't think of a clean way to get branch specific SNAPSHOTs without
adding more complexity.  Convince me otherwise...

I can show how this scenario can be aligned to my current (in progress)
proposal:

This can be addressed with the addition of a repository.xml meta file:

<dependency>
  <id>tomcat</id>
  <version>SNAPSHOT</version>
  <groupID>org.apache.jakarta</groupID>
  <artifactID>tomcat-4.1</artifactID>
<dependency>

Now in Tomcats project repository space (PRS) you would have

<PRS>/repository.xml

<project-repository>
  <artifact name="tomcat-4.1" version="*" location="jars/tomcat-4.1/"/>
</project-repository>

Where <PRS> would equal -> <repository dir>/org/apache/jakarta/tomcat/

- Mike

> > -1
> >
> > SNAPSHOT == bleeding edge == CVS HEAD
> >
> > Another note:  (please correct me if I'm wrong) but can't
> > this be addressed on a project-by-project basis with
> > <artifcatID> elements
> >

> It can be addressed in that way but it doesn't make sense.  In the
case of
> Tomcat's major versions (3, 4, 5), it makes the most sense (which is
still
> none).  Think about the implications for upgrading a dependency to a
> project that changes the artifactId to allow for multiple snapshot
> versions:
>
> <dependency>
>   <id>tomcat-3</id>
>   <version>3.3</version>
> <dependency>
>
> Upgrading to 3.4 makes sense....
>
> <dependency>
>   <id>tomcat-3</id>
>   <version>3.4</version>
> <dependency>
>
> Upgrading to 4.1 does not makes sense....
>
> <dependency>
>   <id>tomcat-4</id>
>   <version>4.1</version>
> <dependency>
>
> From a user's point of view, it makes no sense to include version in
the
> artifactId.  It should be Tomcat, not Tomcat-X.
>
> For a project like Torque, it makes even less sense to do something
like
> that.
>
> > - Mike

Or