On 11/1/05, Matthew Bevan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> I find it pretty great that the 20-minute video and various "feature
> show-offs" for CatWalk are being done in video.  Realtime
> demonstrations can often have more impact than written descriptions,
> however, I have problems with the choice of medium.
>
> On my wonderful 64-bit laptop, when I play those quicktime videos I get
> no audio.  On the other hand, I have Macromedia Flash running without a
> problem.  (A feat on 64-bit assisted by a binary version of Firefox).

Have you tried VLC by any chance? It may not work with the codec that
I've used for this incarnation of the video. I'm not sure, but VLC
plays an awful lot of files.

I am planning to try different codecs to improve compatibility for
Linux users. If I had the money for Sorenson Squeeze, I'd generate
SWFs. Or, if I was using Camtasia on Windows I could likely do it
there as well. Camtasia has other features and is tempting... it's a
pity it's Windows only.

At the moment, I just don't have the time to try and wire up something
like vnc2swf with audio on my Mac.

> With built-in playback features (play, pause, seek bar) and several
> modes of capture (including audio), I wouldn't mind seeing a
> demonstration done using vnc2swf.  Resulting files have the potential
> to be very, very small.

The size, of course, is mostly due to the codec and options chosen.
I've heard good things about H.264, but that requires folks to be
running the latest QuickTime. Sorenson Squeeze is supposed to put
together very good quality, highly compressed swfs. They do have a
Flash-specific version. I might be able to finagle an upgrade from my
old Flash 4 to the latest and then get the Sorenson package for Flash.

It's likely that the next screencast will be QuickTime, but in a more
friendly codec. I'll try to check it with VLC first to make sure that
a broad audience can watch.

Kevin