On 12/9/05, qvx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm developing an in-house solution here at my company using TG, and
> all I've told to my boss is that it is using a Python web framework. I
> omitted the TurboGears part, because the name doesn't sound serious or
> "professional". Personally, I like the name, and it is somewhat in
> the spirit of Python, but it doesn't compete well with all those
> other mouthful "Enterprise" names. Just by saying it to other
> colleagues, who are using Oracle AS, J2EE, WebSphere and others, they
> think: where does he just find those "things/toys"?
>
> I ment no offence :)

None taken.

Naming is an interesting thing (and particularly hard these days,
given what it takes to find an available domain name). Domain name
issues aside, finding a name that conveys the right image and has the
right "feel" is very difficult.

I don't think "Yahoo!" and "Google" are serious sounding, but these
are both well-respected multibillion dollar businesses. What company
would want to place a job posting on "Monster"? Lots, actually.

Sounding like "Oracle AS", "J2EE" and even "WebSphere" is not what we
want. TurboGears is the anti-J2EE. It's for a shop that's ready to
take the plunge and do agile development. We've got an "agile,
AJAX-enabled, Web 2.0-compliant, lightweight framework", so I think
we're plenty buzzword compliant. The TurboGears name is just not fully
established yet, but articles and books and the like will help over
time. I doubt "Ruby On Rails" sounded particularly serious to many
folks when David first introduced it.

Kevin

--
Kevin Dangoor