On 12/22/05, Kevin Dangoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12/22/05, Jonathan LaCour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I would have to agree here that I think Karl's layout would be better
> > for a brochure, magazine, or any medium other than a website.  Its
> > just plain too crowded for the web.
>
> The move to blue was a good one, but the move from 2 columns to 3 was not:

It's the newspaper habits kicking in. I'll drop a column in the next
iteration. I might try out a  different grid. I usually use a grid
that's pretty close to the one Richard uses for web pages, so these
iterations are design exercises as much as they are proposals.

> Taking a look at the post-1.0 Rails site...

The rails page is a pitch to new users. Richard's page is a community
page. It doesn't do much to pitch the framework but is a page that
continues to have value after I've adopted the framework, unlike the
rails homepage.

I unsuccessfully tried to do both, which I thought I could overcome
with a clear enough visual hiearchy (I don't think the current design
is clear enough on that front). I think I'll trend toward the
community site and do less work pitching the framework.

> layout 3 has a gray band at the right that is screaming out for
> *something* to happen there. I like the bottom half of layout 3, but
> prefer the top half of layout 2.

Richard has said he didn't know what was supposed to go on the page
right after he put up 3, so both 2 and 3 aren't filled with content. I
assume he was saving the gray band in 3  and the entire bottom in 2
for future content.