I'd tend to agree with Rick, where he said that he needs to be able to work
with a running user samples and a complete system to help better understand
and figure out how pieces and parts fit together, and I believe this would
be the expectation of somebody trying to joying the Tuscany community, in
particular SCA. Current trunk code does not allow for a end-to-end working
system, and the build profiles are building only a very small subset of the
code when you try to build from trunk top-level giving you a false
impression that all is fine and working. I think that, as Geoff said,
occasionally a branch might be the right answer.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

On 2/8/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My comments inline.

Rick Rineholt wrote:
> I think I've asked this indirectly, but I'll be more blunt:
> Would one of the proposed objectives of the branch be to eliminate the
> current mix of kernel being published as snapshots and the rest of
> Tuscany to use those snapshots ?

I am finding the current mix confusing and difficult to work with in my
Eclipse environment, even with source attached to the JARs, so I'm not
particularly interested in repeating this in a branch.

> To be able at the head of this branch check out all of Tuscany SCA
> (not SDO/DAS) and do a build from the top of that and expect all of
> Tuscany to be running the code just compiled?
> To try and to stabilize  this to run most of the samples and iTest and
> keep them running?

Yes that's one of the main goals, build and test the integration of all
the pieces in a stable environment.

> To go forth from there to add the  features we said we were interested
> to work on this branch?
>
> Then later at some point when those features that require more
> involved refactoring of the kernel on the trunk  have stabilized and
> can run on a relatively regular basis the iTest and samples to merge
> them?

I think people should be able to work on code in the environment that
works best for them and the community (trunk, branch or a sandbox), then
merge when possible. The main goal of this branch is integration and
stabilization, so I'd prefer to not use it for big new features that
would destabilize it, but I'm sure that we'll need incremental
improvements and fixes to the existing features in that branch to get
the end to end integration working.