If we assume one bundle per Tuscany module for developers, perhaps
there's a need for a separate concept that provides a simplified view
for users?  The SpringSource Application Platform has the concept of a
library, which has caused much debate in the OSGi world (it has its
own manifest header).  A library is a collection of bundles which
gives the developer a single 'thing' on which to depend.  At runtime
the concept goes away and just results in Import/Export-Package
statements created through manifest re-writing (the library does not
affect package visibility).  I'm not suggesting we use the same
approach, but it just highlights that others a felt the need for an
'aggregation' concept.

I wonder if a bundle repository might also provide such a capability,
but I'm not too familiar with things like OBR at the moment.

On the subject of the ExtensionRegistry.  This is not a standard OSGi
feature, but I've been told the Equinox implementation should run on
any standard OSGi implementation (e.g. Felix).  Is there any reason
why we wouldn't just use the standard service registry?  It has all
the features required to manage the lifecycle of new extensions being
installed/uninstalled, etc.

Regards, Graham.