On 16 Jul 2008, at 14:38, Chet Farmer wrote:

On Jul 16, 2008, at 6:10 AM, Scott Likens wrote:

I'll certainly agree with that. Getting mongrel working with mod_proxy was essentially an exercise in Google and reading blogs.

<snip>
Yes. And, frankly, Ruby + gems on most Linux distros is in such a state that I end up maintaining my own Ruby install from source. Given the pain of the recent security holes (for example), I find that this is actually driving me to think I should can it and go for the same suite of PHP apps as everyone else.

I will agree with that, as Debian Etch currently has Ruby 1.8.4(2? i forget) with Rubygems 0.92. However is that Ruby's problem? or the Linux distribution you chose?

It's definitely Ruby's problem if PHP, Perl, Python, etc., are all running fine out of the box.

I'd just like to put in a vote for not Ruby's problem here. I've never had any trouble deploying rails applications. I used to be a mod_perl hacker and that was much, much harder to set up and keep going.

The only difference, in my view, is that Rails isn't a commodity solution yet. You can't easily buy some Rails and you don't get an option on the Ubuntu disc to install a good starting Rails setup. A Rails app needs a port, I suppose, so you can't really run one unless you have your own box and it's really not something you should bother with if you just want your blog to be fashionably served.

If you have some reason to want Apache as your front end, you have to know how to proxy to another port. The documentation for that is here:

        http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

and includes straightforward cut and paste configuration along with some very useful warnings. I don't know anything about mod_rails, but I suspect that unless you want to get fancy with the apache lifecycle, you don't need that much integration. Nginx is a much better front end anyway: fast and simple. There's an excellent cargo config here:

        http://brainspl.at/articles/2006/09/12/new-nginx-conf-with-rails-caching

and some thorough benchmarking here:

        http://blog.kovyrin.net/2006/08/28/ruby-performance-results/

I've found it perfectly straightforward to set up typo (or radiant, or mephisto: I have sites running on each) using mongrel_cluster, capistrano and an nginx front end. The only things I had to compile were nginx and sphinx. Everything else is apt-gettable (and I think now nginx is too). I use three application servers and one database server and deliver over 100,000 pages a day with typically about a quarter load. It scales well enough for me and it's over two years since the last boot. I certainly couldn't say that when I was desperately propping up 100MB apache processes.

Here, you're defaulting back to a knee-jerk defense of what is clearly your pet language. That has no place here. Compared to LAMP- stack stuff, RoR applications are much harder to set up and deploy. They require a totally different approach, and that approach is very poorly documented. This isn't a controversial statement.

The documentation is fine. The only problem is that there is no single orthodox solution. I see that as a strength, but it does mean that some expertise is required to choose your recipe. You (Chet) are right in the sense that for the beginner, a working typo blog is probably not as easy to get to as a working php-based blog. For anyone who knows what they're doing there's really no difference and the rails model is much easier to maintain.

Most of this is general to rails so it's also worth mentioning that Frédéric is very diligent and responsive and the software is good. He deserves more appreciation, i think.

best,

will

Here, you're defaulting back to a knee-jerk defense of what is clearly your pet language. That has no place here. Compared to LAMP- stack stuff, RoR applications are much harder to set up and deploy. They require a totally different approach, and that approach is very poorly documented. This isn't a controversial statement.

---
"Don't let your mongoose get cold or dirty, or it will die."
(Animals as Friends and How to Keep Them, by Shaw & Fisher, Dent 1939)