Chet Farmer wrote:

On Jul 16, 2008, at 6:10 AM, Scott Likens wrote:

I'll certainly agree with that. Getting mongrel working with mod_proxy was essentially an exercise in Google and reading blogs.

Why is mod_proxy working with mongrel such an exercise?

Beats me. Perhaps you should refer to the first portion of my reply to you last night.

Explanation by analogy would be helpful; "Mogrel fills a role similar to that of Tomcat for JSP applications" would be a good starting point for most people with experience with web apps.

The best explanations of how to make it all hang together well I found were at

http://blog.codahale.com/2006/06/19/time-for-a-grown-up-server-rails-mongrel-apache-capistrano-and-you/,
http://jonathan.tron.name/2006/07/26/apache-2-0-x-mongrel-mod_proxy-mod_rewrite-configuration

but one of those is talking about another Rails blog tool, of course.

This would require Typosphere to be online and updated from time to time.

It's definitely Ruby's problem if PHP, Perl, Python, etc., are all running fine out of the box.

It is a problem with Ruby & Gems specifically that Gems don't integrate as smoothly as extending Perl with non-packaged CPAN modules does on major Linux distros.