On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:14 AM, Rodger Donaldson wrote:

Chet Farmer wrote:
Now, there's no real difference with Mongrel/Webrick if you run nginx or Apache or lighttpd. It works, it's well documented and takes the most amount of memory (actually all of them really take the same amount of memory, you just don't see the ruby process hanging around using up 140megs of memory).
Um, no. It is NOT well documented, or, if it is, those documents are not easy to find.

I'll certainly agree with that. Getting mongrel working with mod_proxy was essentially an exercise in Google and reading blogs.

Why is mod_proxy working with mongrel such an exercise?

 <Proxy *>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
  </Proxy>

  ProxyPass / http://localhost:4485
  ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:4485
  ProxyPreserveHost On

That's it as a whole, 7 whole lines. Add that to your apache configuration in a Virtualhost area for your blog and startup typo and you should be golden.

It doesn't make it better, or worse or anything. (It scales horribly also for those of you who are talking about scaling).
Actually, "easy to deploy" DOES earn an app significant points with pretty much any administrator I know. I consider that "better."

Yes. And, frankly, Ruby + gems on most Linux distros is in such a state that I end up maintaining my own Ruby install from source. Given the pain of the recent security holes (for example), I find that this is actually driving me to think I should can it and go for the same suite of PHP apps as everyone else.

I will agree with that, as Debian Etch currently has Ruby 1.8.4(2? i forget) with Rubygems 0.92. However is that Ruby's problem? or the Linux distribution you chose? If they are willing to give you that old of Ruby, what makes you think the PHP is any more recent?

... Now I agree they should update that to at least 1.8.6, and Rubygems 1.2.0, however they have their release cycle and unless it's a critical security fix you will never get it until the next release. Ubuntu's way of handling Ruby is quite odd to say the least. I tried CentOS 5 out of the box, got Warehouseapp running for a customer in a matter of minutes however. yum worked perfectly for me, and I had 0 issues with it. I've tried Gentoo and it's worked excellent also, so perhaps some research is in order?