Hi,

According to the recent benchmarking article by Phoronix, the previous two
releases of Ubuntu are significantly slower than Feisty Fawn. In some cases
this can be seen as up to 50% performance drop with certain desktop tasks.

I can confirm that this is true in that my girlfriends desktop used to be
quite capable of playing a 1080p x264 video but since upgrading to gutsy and
then hardy it has become unwatchable, even mplayer reports that "YOUR
COMPUTER IS TOO SLOW"

I think that the reasons behind this reduction in performance across the
board needs some serious investigation and work done to reverse this trend.
At the moment I am faced with either running an old distro or upgrading
hardware.

Any discussion on this is welcome :)

Thanks,

Alan