Whoops, I thought you were talking about the recent article about -intel
performance on x45 chips.  But I see you're actually talking about an
earlier article about Ubuntu performance in general:
http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13022

Note that in that article they looked only at the proprietary -nvidia
driver's performance, and did not find any noteworthy regressions in
that.  So depending on what video driver you're using, it may not have
much relevance to your issue.

Bryce