On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Ben Tinner <bentin...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am planning to create a new distro of Ubuntu which will have the GNOME 2
> look and feel. For those of you who are subscribed to ubuntu-users, you
> would have heard about my plans to create this (Anyone interested in a
> "GNOME 2 look and feel" remix?).
>
> Officially called Ubuntu MATE Remix, this will integrate the MATE Desktop
> Environment to the power and stability of Ubuntu. In fact, I already had a
> working prototype based on Saucy Salamander. You can download the
> prototype at https://shared.com/unqjauvtrj
>
> Currently, there are a few issues with the prototype.
>
> 1. I do not know how to implement a GUI bootmenu in the Live CD (like the
> one used in the Ubuntu Live CD).
> 2. I do not know how to make the system to autostart the GUI, so the only
> way to start the GUI is to type 'startx' on the command line.

Have a look at /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/ which determines which
environment to load.
Apparently the default is still configured there (user-session=ubuntu ?),
and since those packages are not available, you get the CLI prompt.

> I will be generating another prototype based on Trusty Tahr soon.
>
> After testing out my prototype, can you give me a few suggestions to
> improve the distro? I hope that this will be officially recognised and
> supported by the Ubuntu community.

I am totally new to MATE; I notice that the MATE packages exist in a
separate repository. Do you know of any effort to get them to 'universe'? I
think that would help tremendously.

Simos