It is unclear why Linux Mint disables all of their security updates
although to some degree they have tried to justify their disabling of
kernel updates by suggesting that such updates could make a system unstable
and that normal users shouldn't get these kinds of updates.

Anyways it is something that might be better researched on their forums
since people have asked a few times over the past couple years, and they
probably have a better idea than us.

I can say that it took them many months to get a fixed version of Firefox
packaged while Ubuntu and Debian had already had security fixes in their
package. This puts Linux Mint users at risk and is one of the key reasons I
never suggest Linux Mint to anyone as an alternative to Ubuntu.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM, Nik Th <nikt...@yandex.com> wrote:

> 04.11.2013, 13:45, "Oliver Grawert" <o...@ubuntu.com>:
> > Am Montag, den 04.11.2013, 13:19 +0200 schrieb Nik Th:
> >
> >>  Do you think that Linux Mint is a vulnerable system ? Really ?
> >

> https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
> >
> > this is the list of packages it will never update, instead of just
> > integrating changes properly with the packagaes in the ubuntu archive
> > they instead suppress doing (security) updates at all for them.
> >
> > i would say forcefully keeping a vulnerable kernel browser or xorg in
> > place instead of allowing the provided security updates to be installer
> > makes it a vulnerable system, yes
> >
> > i personally wouldn't do online banking with it ;)
> >
> > ciao
> >         oli
> >
> > ,
> > --
>
> Thank you for clarifying this. Do you know the reason ? Why they don't
> update those packages ?
>
> I'm don't watch the conversation from the beginning , but I assume (in
> your distro) you will keep the original repositories and official packages
> , correct ?
> I'm not a developer, thus I cannot help you with coding, but if you decide
> to release this distro of yours, I would like to participate as a tester.
> Drop a note in this list or my e-mail when you are ready.
>
> Good Luck.
>

> --

*Benjamin Kerensa*
*http://benjaminkerensa.com <http://benjaminkerensa.com>*
*"I am what I am because of who we all are" - Ubuntu*