On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 11:04:30AM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 05:16:55PM -0500, Dale Amon wrote:
> > So I am presuming those folks working on it are building everything
> > with a cross compiler. So instead of the one day task I was hoping
> > for, I've got to face the whole learning curve for setting up a
> > cross compile environment for aarch64.
>
> It's often possible to do most development and testing by building on a
> local architecture, and switch to the target architecture when ready.
> This is particularly easy for us because Ubuntu is the same (package
> versions, configuration, etc) regardless of architecture.
>
> Ubuntu's build infrastructure actually builds native for all
> architectures rather than using cross compilers, but I suppose you don't
> have an aarch64 server handy?
>
> > Can you point me at a HOWTO used to orient the notepad developers
> > to how to set up their cross-platform development environments?
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ToolChain#Cross_development_toolchain has some
> docs. Basically: "apt-get install gcc-5-aarch64-linux-gnu" and you
> should have a working cross compiler. I'm not sure if any other packages
> are required for a complete toolchain, but the idea is that everything
> you need is already available as packages.

Thanks. I also came up with another way to do it. I'm re-using a
1TB laptop drive in an external enclosure which will not become
/home/dev as a mount on the Aquarius.

I am going to first connect it to my development laptop and download
all the appropriate aarch64 debian packages onto it; then I can

        dpkg -i <package> --root /home/dev/

and install my gcc compiler and debian tools there. That should
work, with just a few adjustments to the make files to search
/home/dev/usr/include during compile.

There is 1.1GB free in the / partition, so there should be plenty
of room for the few shared libraries I will need to add.

Dale Amon
Sr Engineer
XCOR Aerospace