On Tue, Sep 21, 2010, Stefan Bader wrote:
> > I hope I got the relevant people included... I am writing this in
> > preparation to
> > remove the fsl-imx51 topic branch from the actively supported topic
> > branches in
> > Karmic.
> >
> > Why? This branch has seriously fallen into unmaintained already. When asking
> > around we usually have no hardware to test and I am being told that there
> > are no
> > projects which use this.
> > Additionally we had this bricking issue with 3.0 babbage boards (or was that
> > 2.5?) which only was fixed in Lucid code. So we either need to replace the
> > Karmic code with the Lucid patches or should drop it. And I don't see much
> > use
> > in doing that work if nobody really cares.
> >
> > So if anybody *does* care, speak now.
> >
> > -Stefan
> >

> And so it was done. The final tip has been archived as fsl-imx51-mothball tag.

 that was quite quick

 I don't particularly care for the fate of karmic imx51 support, but
 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseManifest said Ubuntu Desktop
 on imx51 would be supported for 18 months.  You might want to get
 David's input on how much he cares for imx51 before killing it.

 You mention some bricking issue, I heard some people mention this; I
 understand that some intermediate development kernel bricked these
 boards permanently.  This was certainly post karmic since the
 problematic kernels were working on Babbage 3.0 boards and these were
 just coming out back in these days; some 2.5 boards got bricked.

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/BabbageKarmicInstall mentions that 1.0
 boards aren't supported anymore, 2.0 and 2.5 are what's supported, and
 3.0 might work but is untested.

 I think Canonical has some 3.0 and possibly some 2.x boards in the
 datacenter.

--
Loïc Minier