Hi,

On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 8:06 AM Lucas Kanashiro <kanash...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 13/09/2023 11:58, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> > Hi Lucas,
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 6:14 PM Lucas Kanashiro <kanash...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >> Hi SRU team,
> >>
> >> I'd like to ask for an update of the Docker.io group SRU exception [1]
> >> to also include the two new Docker CLI plugins that are now in the
> >> archive (Mantic):
> >>
> >> - docker-buildx
> >> - docker-compose-v2
> > Sorry for taking to long to get to this request.
>
> No problem.
>
> >> They are self contained (no reverse dependencies). They will also
> >> considerably improve the experience of our Docker users across all
> >> releases. Those 2 new packages are really tightened to the Docker
> >> version we have and it would be great to keep it consistent everywhere.
> >>
> >> My idea is to not allow the backport of versions .0 of those packages as
> >> we do with docker.io-app.
> >>
> >> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DockerUpdates
> > Approved on the condition that we have a few new DEP8 tests. I think

But also please see my comment about docker-compose vs
docker-compose-v2 at the end

> > this is importand because, per SRU exception[1] for this group of
> > packages, DEP8 tests are basically the only tests performed.
>
> Do you mean the current DEP-8 tests are not enough?

There is no "docker build" in the current DEP-8 tests, much less with
DOCKER_BUILDKIT=1 (I'm looking at mantic), and no test for docker
compose, even to check its presence. You are asking to include two
packages in an exception which relies on the DEP-8 tests, so yes, I
think these two new packages should be tested.

> > I'm thinking:
> > a) one for the build functionality with DOCKER_BUILDKIT=1, which is
> > what will exercise the docker-buildx plugin at a minimum, and verify
> > the recent regression[2]. A simple Dockerfile consisting only of "FROM
> > ubuntu:latest" should suffice to begin with, as that would have caught
> > the regression[1].
>
> The DOCKER_BUILDKIT=1 option is not currently used in the test, so yes,
> we could add it due to this regression. Could we move on with the
> backports now and I add it in the next upload/backport?

Please document it in the wiki, and for this first backport, it's ok
as long as they are manually tested then.

> I'd like to mention that the basic features are already tested in the
> smoke test we have.

But not the new ones introduced by these new packages, right?

> > b) compose. We can start with a smoke test showing that the plugin is
> > recognized, because right not it isn't (unless I'm doing something
> > wrong. After I install bin:docker-compose, I don't see it in the
> > output of "docker info", nor is the "docker compose" command
> > recognized. Just "docker-compose" (in lunar).
>
> We do have a smoke test. The correct binary package is
> docker-compose-v2, docker-compose is the old version.

I just called it a smoke-test, I wasn't refering explicitly to
d/t/basic-smoke, which does NOT check docker compose, unless I missed
something.

Noted on the binary package. So what will happen to the old bin:docker-compose?

We have:
$ rmadison docker-compose
 docker-compose | 1.5.2-1         | xenial/universe         | source, all
 docker-compose | 1.8.0-2~16.04.1 | xenial-updates/universe | source, all
 docker-compose | 1.17.1-2        | bionic/universe         | source, all
 docker-compose | 1.25.0-1        | focal/universe          | source, all
 docker-compose | 1.29.2-1        | jammy/universe          | source, all
 docker-compose | 1.29.2-3        | lunar/universe          | source, all
 docker-compose | 1.29.2-6        | mantic/universe         | source, all

And:
$ rmadison docker-compose-v2
 docker-compose-v2 | 2.20.2+ds1-0ubuntu1 | mantic/universe | source,
amd64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el, riscv64, s390x