On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 4:31 PM Andreas Hasenack <andr...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> Hi Corey,
>
> On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 11:52 AM Corey Bryant <corey.bry...@canonical.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Robie,
>>
>> Thanks for taking a look.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 9:34 AM Robie Basak <robie.ba...@ubuntu.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As a list of 46 packages this is rather large and non-trivial to review.
>>> Presumably we'll want to group them by upstream (are all managed by the
>>> OpenStack umbrella upstream, or are there exceptions?) and then take a
>>> view on them as a whole.
>>>

>> All of the packages in this list fall under the OpenStack umbrella
>> upstream. The source can be found at: https://opendev.org/explore/repos
>> All of these packages were specifically chosen because they are
>> dependencies of the existing packages in our SRU exception list.
>>

> Could you also check the reverse dependencies of these packages in the
> Ubuntu Archive, to see what, if anything, other than openstack, might be
> using them? If we start updating them to new upstream versions, albeit
> still within a stable release track, we might be affecting their rdeps.

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for taking a look.

I've put a full list of rdepends here:
https://github.com/coreycb/reverse-depends/blob/main/reverse-depends

It is mostly OpenStack packages, but I did find a few non-openstack
packages:

fence-agents-compute (Depends: python3-novaclient)
fence-agents-openstack (Depends: python3-novaclient)
fence-agents-ironic (Depends: python3-openstackclient)
jeepyb (Depends: python3-swiftclient)
prometheus-openstack-exporter (Depends: python3-cinderclient,
python3-keystoneclient, python3-neutronclient, python3-novaclient,
python3-swift)
python3-novnc (Depends: python3-oslo.config, Reverse Depends:
nova-novncproxy, qemu-web-desktop)

It is worth noting that OpenStack stable releases cannot include
incompatible API changes.

And given the example from Robie below on python-ovsdbapp, when he analyzed
> python-ovsdbapp, do you think you would be able to highlight usptream
> changes in behavior, if they exist, in the future SRUs? In general, MREs
> should not have those, of course.

I'm hesitant to do this because I think it would get noisy. In my
experience, bug fixes often change behavior, but not in an incompatible way.

Would it be useful to provide a summary of commits included in a stable
release? We might be able to include that in the debian/changelog even. In
some cases, such as neutron, I probably would not want to do that because
the number of commits (sometimes 50+) could pollute the changelog, but I
think in general it could be useful to end users.

Thanks,
Corey