@Timo: I understand the frustration, but please reconsider your position! It's
the purpose of any driver to make the system work correctly for the users. In
such cases where there are closed-source drivers involved you might want to
consider those drivers part of the (hardware) system that needs to work. If the
bug affecting the open driver would be in the firmware layer you would also
accept work-around solutions, why not at this level?
Currently Ubuntu 12.10 is unusable for hybrid fglrx/intel setups, Nick's
approach fixes that. I haven't studied the issue deep enough to estimate if a
fix on the fglrx side would be easy. (and if we might expect a fix by them any
time soon) In the meantime many users are left out in the cold.

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  1002:6760 Switchable graphics on Radeon HD 6400M not working again