> > On mini-native/system-image:
> > As you know I want to link all things statically. But the presence of
> *.so*
> > in /lib prevent some broken packages from respecting even "magnum"
> '-static
> > --static' LDFLAGS.
>

> Try putting it in CFLAGS, maybe?

I even put them to all {C,LD,CPP}FLAGS -- no effect

(Which packages are these?)

e.g. hping2

How do you ever build these things statically on
> a normal host system (ala building 'em natively under Ubuntu?)

I've been using toolchain that I've managed to build from scratch using
buildroot a year or so ago. I spent long time to get them rid of shared
libraries. Pity, I've lost that patches so can not reproduce the building
process. Now I've finally decided to get rid of my toolchain in favour of
yours. And am trying to make things work as I expect. Never been compiling
smth under full-blown distros.

> How can I get the goal more elegantly?
>
> Could be a few ways, but I'd like to know more about the problem first.

I'd manually remove *.so* from mini-native if you'd ship statically linked
toolchain. You see, I'd like to remove any relation between the host, the
building system and the target binaries. While toolchain depends on
libraries, it is not "portable". The size increase will not be big, but the
benefits are obvious (to me, at least).

TIA,
--
Vladimir