Another workaround if the real issue can't be resolved is to utilize GNU Screen (which I have taken to using at my work on a daily basis). Basically, screen is a terminal emulator that let's you open multiple terminals and switch between them (all in the same session) as well as detaching from a session and returning to it at some later point.

With screen you could login, start screen, start your job, detach, and the re-attach a few hours later to see the results.

To start screen, just type screen at the command line.
To detach a session, Ctrl-a d
To reattach screen -r

Check out the screen man page for more commands (or just do Ctrl-a ? with screen running)
http://jmcpherson.org/screen.html <-- also has some good intro material on it.