It's hard to come by an actual minimal pair.

MASSE - mass or measurements? See, not hard at all.
[and]
With the new orthography, "ss" vs. "ß" affects the pronunciation of the preceding vowel. It's irritating to see "SS" because you have to override that rule when you know that the word in lowercase was pronounced differently.

Well, this pretty much summarizes why I think "SS"-for-"ß" looks distracting. So since I very much agree with such sentiment, I should probably not have given a mild defense of this practice in the first place.

But where are all those other examples? Now – aside from "come by" meaning "come across" :-) (which is, in all fairness, not what I meant earlier), let's now ask how frequent this is, really. I don't encounter that much all-caps text in the first place (which to me looks stupid, independently), and "MASSE" is variant #3 in this thread of the double example that Otto Scholz just gave ("Körpermassen" (Switzerland), "IN MASSEN"), obviously terribly likely to appear in an all-caps context. Remind me real quick, I must have forgotten about all those popular, bestselling all-caps physics books teaching about mass and measurements – the comparative discussion of beer and female bodies was probably in the appendix about SI units :-) which I must have skipped.

And it's not like capitalization is otherwise invertible – the capitalization bits contain information as well, after all.)
Besides the point a bit. Even thought it's true that mixed case carries information that's lost in all upper or all lowercase, the issue is a bit different, as not focused on one letter.

Text being all-caps is a property applied to the word level (for emphasis) or to the paragraph level. The minimal unit it applies to is (normally) the word. (@"normally": What to do with word-internal capital letters, as eg in certain Gaelic names is another question.) You're right to point this out, but "SS"-as-capital-ß really only occurs in an all-caps writing context, which has the capitalization property applied to entire words.

Stephan