> On 17 May 2018, at 16:47, Garth Wallace via Unicode <unicode@unicode.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 12:41 AM Hans Åberg <haber...@telia.com> wrote:
>
> > On 17 May 2018, at 08:47, Garth Wallace via Unicode <unicode@unicode.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:42 AM, Hans Åberg via Unicode
> >> <unicode@unicode.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> It would be best to encode the SMuFL symbols, which is rather
> >> comprehensive and include those:
> >>  https://www.smufl what should be unified.org
> >>  http://www.smufl.org/version/latest/
> >>
> >> These are otherwise originally the same, but has since drifted. So whether
> >> to unify them or having them separate might be best to see what SMuFL
> >> does, as they are experts on the issue.
> >>
> > SMuFL's standards on unification are not the same as Unicode's. For one
> > thing, they re-encode Latin letters and Arabic digits multiple times for
> > various different uses (such as numbers used in tuplets and those used in
> > time signatures).
>
> The reason is probably because it is intended for use with music engraving,
> and they should then be rendered differently.
>
> Exactly. But Unicode would consider these a matter for font switching in rich
> text.

One original principle was ensure different encodings, so if the practise in
music engraving is to keep them different, they might be encoded differently.

> > There are duplicates all over the place, like how the half-sharp symbol is
> > encoded at U+E282 as "accidentalQuarterToneSharpStein", at U+E422 as
> > "accidentalWyschnegradsky3TwelfthsSharp", at U+ED35 as
> > "accidentalQuarterToneSharpArabic", and at U+E444 as "accidentalKomaSharp".
> > They are graphically identical, and the first three even all mean the same
> > thing, a quarter tone sharp!
>
> But the tuning system is different, E24 and Pythagorean. Some Latin and Greek
> uppercase letters are exactly the same but have different encodings.
>
> Tuning systems are not scripts.

That seems obvious. As I pointed out above, the Arabic glyphs were originally
taken from Western ones, but have a different musical meaning, also when played
using E12, as some do.