> On 28 May 2018, at 11:05, Julian Bradfield via Unicode <unicode@unicode.org>
> wrote:

>>> The fact that they do not denote the same width in cents in Arabic music as
>>> they do in Western modern classical does not matter. That sort of precision
>>> is not inherent to the written symbols.
>>
>> It is not about precision, but concepts. Like B, Β, and В, which could have
>> been unified, but are not.
>
> Latin, Greek, Cyrillic etc. could not have been unified, because of the
> requirement to have round-trip compatibility with previous encodings.

Indeed, in Unicode because of that, which I pointed out.

> It is also, of course, convenient for many reasons to have the notion
> of "script" hard-coded into unicode code-points, instead of in
> higher-level mark-up where it arguably belongs - just as, when
> copyright finally expires, it will be convenient to have Tolkien's
> runes disunified from historical runes (which is the line taken by the
> proposal waiting for that day). Whether it is so convenient to have a
> "music script" notion hard-coded is presumably what this argument is
> about. It's not obvious to me that musical notation is something that
> carries the "script" baggage in the same way that writing systems do.

Indeed, that is what I also pointed out. So I suggested to contact the SMuFL
people which might inform about the underlying reasoning, and then make a
decision about what might be suitable for Unicode. They probably have them
separate for the same reason as for scripts: originally different fonts
encodings, but those are not official, and in addition it is for music
engraving, and not writing in text files.